Business Model Community
In the will of openess and exchange characterizing research worldwide, we are attempting to establish a community in which theoretical arguments and empirical research on business models are shared to create cumulative knowledge and fill the gap between academics and practitioners, This website launched in May 2008 has been enriched progressively thanks to your contributions.
We invite scholars rooted in any discipline (economics, strategy, marketing, information systems, HRM, finance…) to become members of the community (being included in the research directory) and by posting their working papers, call for papers or announcements. Authors from any discipline may consider a submission of business model related working paper to our database of online papers. Practitioners may also submit their reflections and analyses on the topic. Both theoretical papers and quantitative or qualitative analyses are welcome. Papers concerning any kind of organizations (firms, non-profit organizations, government….) and any industry are welcome. Papers may be submitted in any language.
Register and submit your working papers and slides so that our community becomes over time more comprehensive and larger !
Special Issue of R&D Management, “Business Model Innovation”, Edited by Patrick Spieth, Joan Ricart and Dirk Schneckenberg.
Call for paper for Advances in Strategic Management Series. “Business Models and Organizations”, Edited by Charles Baden-Fuller and Vincent Mangematin.
Journal of Business Models. Our colleagues from CREBS in Aalborg are launching the brand new Journal of Business Models.
A Ph.D Course on Business Models and Disclosure at Aalborg University (Denmark).
Faculty Position. For those interested in Business Models in Entertainment, Berklee College of Music invites applications for the position of Full-time Faculty, Global Entertainment and Music Business in the Berklee Valencia Graduate Studies and Undergraduate Program in Valencia, Spain.
What is a Business Model ?
In a basic sense, the business model is about how a company organizes to sustain itself. It draws on a multitude of subjects including entrepreneurship, strategy, organization, finance, marketing and operations management. In a more developed approach, business models are the choices (in terms of deployed resources and competences, value propositions, and internal/external organization) made by a firm to operate (Demil and Lecocq, 2010). Business model is a concept that is now crucial for entrepreneurship and that constitute a very promising perspective for research in strategic management, based on a pragmatic innovative approach. Indeed, rather than competitive advantage, business model approach stresses the revenue generation process and its consequence on profit. The burst of the business model terminology has led more and more scholars rooted in disciplines ranging from information systems to economics to study business models. Business Models raised questions related to innovation processes, entrepreneurship, organization, marketing and strategic management. As a support to the researchers and practitioners, we have created the business model community. We hope to lead to a greater understanding of the business model concept and of the best practices on business models decision and implementation.
- Special Issue of R&D Management, “Business Model Innovation”, Edited by Patrick Spieth, Joan Ricart and Dirk Schneckenberg. The deadline for submissions is 31st July 2013 and the special issue is intended for publication in early 2014.
- Call for paper for Advances in Strategic Management Series. “Business Models and Organizations”, Edited by Charles Baden-Fuller and Vincent Mangematin. Submission Deadline: May 15, 2014. For questions regarding the content of this AiSM volume, the editorial process, or to submit a paper, please contact the volume editors: Charles Baden-Fuller (volume editor), firstname.lastname@example.org or Vincent Mangematin (volume editor),Vincent.email@example.com
- Journal of Business Models. Our colleagues from CREBS in Aalborg are launching the brand new Journal of Business Models. Here is the URL of the journal: http://journals.aau.dk/index.php/JBM. To register as an author and submit:, please go to http://journals.aau.dk/index.php/JBM/information/authors
- A Ph.D Course on Business Models and Disclosure at Aalborg University (Denmark). For more information:, go to http://www.fak.samf.aau.dk/phd/ph.d.-kurser/vis-arrangement//business-models-and-disclosure.cid80934
- Faculty Position. For those interested in Business Models in Entertainment, Berklee College of Music invites applications for the position of Full-time Faculty, Global Entertainment and Music Business in the Berklee Valencia Graduate Studies and Undergraduate Program in Valencia, Spain. The initial appointment will begin as early as August 1, 2013 (September 1 at the latest). Academic rank and compensation will be commensurate with experience. Information inquiry and electronic applications can be send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Address your cover letter to: Full-time Faculty Search, Global Entertainment/Music Business, Attn: Emilien Moyon.
Rethink Music Valencia Wrokshop, April 26 2013 (Spain) : Rethink Music Valencia is a one day workshop focusing on soliciting and testing new business models for the music industry. Join us to imagine and design a new music ecosystem. For more details :
Peter McNamara from the UCD Smurfit School of Business is seeking some Research Fellows to work on a funded research project on Business Model Innovation. For more details : http://www.ucd.ie/hr/jobvacancies/
Our colleagues from the CREBS in Aalborg (Denmark) wish to ask to every member of the community: What is YOUR favourite paper on Business Models? Please rank your top three favourite contributions on Business Models by the following link:
EURAM Conference, Istanbul/Turkey, June 26-29, 2013. Special Euram Track on Business Model Innovation.
Further Information www.euram2013.com
29th EGOS Colloquium, Montréal, July 4–6, 2013. Sub-theme 22: Business Models and Organizations: Uncovering the Origins of New Business Models. Further Information http://www.egosnet.org/
NFF Conference, Iceland, August 21-23, 2013. Business Model Track : The Business Model Eruption : how game changing mind sets challenge existing nodes of Business.
Further Information https://nff2013.hi.is/
Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, Call for Papers for a Special Issue, 2013.
Further Information http://sej.strategicmanagement.net/